Practical Action Latin America Regional Office, Peru
About Practical Action
Practical Action helps people find solutions to some of the world’s toughest problems. Challenges made worse by climate change and gender inequality. It works with communities to develop ingenious, lasting and locally owned solutions for agriculture, water and waste management, climate resilience and clean energy. And it shares what works with others, so answers that start small can grow big.
Practical Action is a global change-making group. It consists of a UK registered charity with community projects in Africa, Asia and Latin America, a publishing company and a technical consulting service. It combines these specialisms to multiply its impact and help shape a world that works better for everyone.
Practical Action believes in the power of small to change the big picture. And that together we can take practical action to build futures free from poverty.
Practical Action values are:
- Restless ingenuity
- Alternative thinking
- Bold collaboration
- Maximum impact
- Lasting outcomes
The Corporate Business Intern in the organisation is expected to demonstrate or work towards demonstrating excellent standards of behaviours under these values.
About the role
The Corporate Business Intern will play a role within the Business Development area and will support the development of proposals and coordination with the private sector. This is a role that covers our work in Peru, as well as other countries where relevant.
In our current strategic business plan, we expect to focus on Energy, Agriculture and Disaster Risk Reduction in both Peru and Bolivia. Technology is at the core of what we do with a focus on climate change and digital technology. We pay special attention to gender across all our work.
The Corporate Business Intern will:
- Engage Practical Action with Corporates work. Build and manage relationships with firms and other relevant groups to generate partnerships and funding
- Organise the respective due diligence for potential clients and with partners (at proposal development stage)
- Gather, track and analyse trends and opportunities in CSR and sustainability in economic sectors matched to our change ambitions.
- Conduct proposal development processes, ensuring that we deliver high quality proposals that bring out the best of our offer, meet donor/client requirements and cover costs. Team building, consultants identification and relationship management
- Contribute to develop innovative alliances with private sector
- Contribute to the development of annual Strategic Business Plans
The post-holder will need to nurture and manage a number of relations, both internal and external. Importantly, s/he will need to work with the Thematic Leads and the Head of Consultancy. Equally, s/he will need to work with business development leads and communications in the UK and potentially in other countries, hence English is required for the position.
- Currently enrolled in the last semesters of studies, or recently graduated from a degree in Social Sciences, Business, Communications or related disciplines.
- Knowledge of shared value principles, of corporate social responsibility approach, community relations principles and the sustainable development goals.
- Knowledge of social and economic development issues in Peru, with emphasis on rural development
- Ability to plan and monitor the process of project proposal formulation.
- Ability to coordinate and collaborate with colleagues of different areas, countries and cultures.
- Commitment to development principles and Practical Action’s vision, mission and ambition
- Intermediate English both written and spoken.
- Comply with the University’s and legal requirements to participate in an internship programme.
Practical Action offers a vibrant environment for professional development. Our dynamic international team provides opportunities of peer to peer learning and for being part of solutions to global challenges.
Hired under the internship modality, with corresponding benefits. Office located in Miraflores, Lima, Peru.
If you are interested in the position and you met the requirements, please send your CV along with a cover letter commenting on why you are the right person for the job and the salary you are applying for, to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “Corporate Business Intern” until the 6th October 2021. Please label files with your name and the type of document you are sending: CV_name_surname.
We treat all applications for employment on their merits and do not take into consideration any factors that are not relevant to the job such as gender, race, religion, ethnic or national origin, caste, tribe, belief, age, marital status, pregnancy, caring responsibilities, sexual orientation, or disability.
Practical Action is committed to safeguarding and protecting children and vulnerable adults and as such candidates will be subject to pre-employment checks including criminal checks and terrorist financing.